Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cold on the mountain

Expedition update: Despite extremely cold temperatures (-60 degrees F), the team is doing well. Realistically, until the weather warms up, the team will be staying at their currently location. Mother nature, warmer temps would much appreciated.

When asked, Christine said clouds moved in last night and they were not able to see the Northern Lights.

ipadio: Winter McKinley Expedition Audio Update - 20th phonecast

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cold morning on Denali

Expedition update: The team woke to a chilly –46 degree temperatures this morning with minimal wind. Yesterday was exhausting and a lot of hard work. However, the team was able to make a snow cave just below the last big slope on Windy Corner. Today, if all goes well, the team may carry supplies up to 13,500 feet.

ipadio: Winter McKinley Expedition Audio Update - 12th phonecast

Saturday, February 12, 2011

ipadio: Winter McKinley Expedition Audio Update - 11th phonecast

Towards 12,600 ft

Expedition update: Today the team will move to 12,600 feet and set up camp and retrieve supplies carried yesterday. The temperature fell to –25 degrees Fahrenheit last night at the 11,500 ft camp. Christine further explained the team is doing well and they are motivated to accomplish their goal. Although it’s out of her control, Christine apologizes for the poor satellite transmissions and would like to thank all of their supporters for their encouragement and well wishes.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Better conditions

Expedition update: Christine cheerfully reports the team woke this morning to clear skies. Cold weather and wind moved in last night and frozen most of the powdery snow, which will make travel today much easier. Ski Hill was very tough to ascend due to the snow conditions. The team is packing up and preparing to move up towards their next camp. Christine is hoping to find Motorcycle Hill frozen which will make for easier travel. Overall, the team is in good spirits and doing well.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

At 9,200 feet.

Expedition update: Christine and Artur are doing well. They pushed up Ski Hill yesterday despite fresh deep snow. Atop Ski Hill, close to 9,200 ft, they have made camp. Hard ice below the snow prevented the construction of a good snow cave. Due to the current weather conditions, the team will decide later today if they will retreat lower to wait out the storm or go higher on the mountain.

ipadio: Winter McKinley Expedition Audio Update - 7th phonecast

Monday, February 7, 2011

Progress being made.

Expedition update: Christine and Artur are making great progress as they are now approaching Ski Hill. Fresh now is on the glacier however navigating the lower Kahilitna has not been too problematic from the team. Satellite transmission has been sketchy but Christine has been able to call in updates to the website.